Tuesday, March 8, 2011

VIVA LE DONNE: HURRAH FOR WOMEN

Success! In 1975 the United Nations General Assembly voted to make March 8 the International Day of the Woman throughout the world. I am saddened by the fact that not many people in the US are familiar with it. In my family we commemorate this day instead of the vulgar and tacky Mother’s day. It is also less "Hallmark"ed.

Pope John Paul ll mentioned the tragedy and the inalienable right to dignity and respect towards all women. You can all read it in his Apostolic Letter “Mulieris Dignitatem.” It has been translated into over a hundred languages.

In Italy, the land of Beauty nonpareil, the elegant and chic Italians created the most charming and moving tradition. The yellow mimosa is given to all women on this day. It is abundant this time of year in the Italian and French Riviera.

I have a dazzling mimosa tree in my garden. It’s fragile appearance represents Woman. Its faintly sweet and erotic scent our fecundity and the sturdy tree the symbol of Life and Death.


To all you women out there, friends, blood kin and those I have yet to meet and regrettably might never meet – I wish you with all my passion a beautiful Day of the Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Isabel Van Fechtmann

Create Your Badge